Wednesday 9 December 2009

Something close to my heart

Here's something close to my heart. It's a book about one family boycotting all products made in China for a year. Difficult? Yes. But impossible? No.

Goods designed and manufactured in SA are invariably more expensive because of our higher material and labour costs, but it's really really important to support our local industries (the only way our production will get cheaper and variety will get bigger is if there is a higher consumer demand).
As someone in clothing manufacture I know how difficult it is to compete with companies who import from China or who manufacture in Chinese factories - there is no way I can match their prices or their turn around times. But at least I know exactly where my garments are made and I can safely stick a "Made in South Africa" label in any FWJ seams!


So...buy local and lekker :)

Buy the book here.

1 comment:

michelle_ said...

totally agree to support local industry !
most people in indonesia, tend to buy import products so the governement increases imported product tax very high so that we buy local stuff..
thanks for commenting at my postt..
visit / follow / and comment me .
GLISTERSandBLISTERS
enter my blog scarf giveaway